While I was interning, I had enough money to make my desk setup look sick as Wes and Scott would say. So some of the stuff below will change.
These items use affiliate links. You can buy from them, or not. Whatever works best for you.
Let’s start with my gear.
- 27” iMac, Retina 5K, late 2015
- iPhone Xs Max, Gold 1
- iPad Pro 12.9” late 2015 128 gb
- Logitech Create Smart Keyboard, refurbished
- I moved some of my writing workflow over to this iPad with this case. It is heavy and bulky but cheaper than Apple’s case.
- Apple Pencil
- I hardly use it but am trying to figure out uses for it.
- DAS Keyboard 4 Professional for Mac Clicky MX Blue Mechanical Switches
- I will never type on another iMac keyboard. Ever. I fly on the keyboard DEV loaned me during my internship. Not going back to desktop chicklet keys.
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK SonicPro Over-Ear High Res Headphones
- These things sound amazing. Seriously good upgrade over my previous Audio-Technica cans, the M50s.
- Plantronics BeatBack Pro wireless headphones
- Dylan Quiet Speace Q1 Wireless Headphones
- ANCHEER Ergonomic Office Chair with Black Mesh
- elago M2 Stand for Smartphones
- Just Mobile Headphone Stand
- Heil PR 40 mic kit
- I bought this when I thought I was serious about pod and screencasting. Heh. I still do a short show for Productivity in Tech.
As you can see I finally moved into my new place. My cable management game is all off but it is what it is2.
- IKEA LINNMON/ALEX Desk
- Every programmer needs a good desk. This one is relatively inexpensive.
- Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers
- Finally picked up some decent speakers. These were the same price as the Mackies I was going to get only these look better.
- iXCC RCA to 3.5 mm cable
- Need this to connect the speakers to my iMac
- LG 4K Monitor
- Two monitors are better than one and now that I am moving and getting a new desk, I can now make this happen.
- North Bayou VESA Mount
- Twelve South 12-1223/B HiRise for iMac - Height-adjustable stand with storage for iMac and Apple Displays
- Anker Qi Wireless Charger
- Lamicall iPad Stand
- Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse
- Since I will be moving soon, some of these items I haven’t used yet. This is one of those items. Everyone raves about this mouse so I want to give it a go.
- Aenfor aluminum gaming mousepad
- M-Audio M-Track C-Series USB Audio Interface
- This will drive a lot of audio…as well as record from an XLR mic which I have. Said I was cooking things up. I am.
- MAKETECH Swivel Under-the-Desk USB 3.0 Hub
- Finally got a new hub.
- Choetech Wireless Charging Stand
- FORSÅ Work Lamp from IKEA
- Amazon Echo Dot 2nd Gen
- I got this as a companion to my Echo 1st Gen which you can find below. I wanted one for my room so I got the cheapest Echo I could find.
- Amazon Echo 1st Gen
- LIFX Z Wi-Fi Smart LED Strip Starter Kit
- Yeah. I am on the bandwagon. I am a programmer and I want my desk to feel like a rocket ship. Sue me.
- LIFX A19 Wi-fi Smart LED Bulb x2
- TP-Link Smart Plug No Hub Required
- For all lights that aren’t smart, now they can be. Win.
- Brainwavz Hengja - The Headphone Desk Hanger
- IKEA Holmo 46” Floor Lamps
- Where else am I going to put the LIFX Bulbs?
- VS Code
- It does everything I need it to do. Atom was nice and had a lot of features but goddamn it’s hella slow. So I went back to VS Code 3 and couldn’t be happier.
- Back to iTerm. Multiple panels ftw.
- Oh My Zsh
- I will never use a terminal without this installed.
- Mac CLI
- Control pretty much every function your Mac can do, plus updating all packages across package managers, ssh, MySQL etc, right from your command line. Excellent tool.
- Sketch for UI design
- Boom 3D
- This makes everything sound amazing.
- Timing 2
- This is how I can find out how much time I spend on Twitter.
- Transmit 5 for Mac
- There are cheaper, free, FTP clients out there but my first text editor was Coda and I liked it so much I bought Panic’s FTP client. It looks good and functions quite well. I moved on from Coda when I became “serious”.
- Brett Terpstra made a fork of Notational Velocity’s plain text note app and I use it for quick notes.
- Using PopClip is a lifesaver. When it doesn’t work I am lost.
- Workflows make this my favorite app. I can’t live without it. You can find my workflows here. I have way too many, I admit.
- Text Expander
- Affinity Designer
- I am trying to learn how to use this better.
- Affinity Photo
- Definitely replaces Adobe CC for me.
- Amphetamine to keep my Mac awake
- Spark for email that isn’t Gmail
- Shell Runner
- To test shell scripts
- BetterSnapTool is my choice for window snapping.
- Expressions to test regular expressions
- Tweetbot 3 for Twitter
- Franz. This is a chat aggregator. Open source and wayyyyyy better looking than Rambox.
- Things 3 for tasks.4
- Notion for Project management.5
- Fantastical 2 for scheduling
- Dash 4. 6
- Sip for Mac for a color picker
I Use a lot of software, I admit
But I use ALL OF IT.
So this is my setup and what I am currently using. You can show me your dev setup on Twitter.
My jealousy of the X this past year meant that I was upgrading but, since the phones seem less and less substantial, I probably won’t upgrade next year unless it is something compelling. ↩
Not a YouTuber so it is kind of a mess. ↩
I did have Ulysses installed. They even featured me on their blog. I mainly used it to post to WordPress and since I am on Jekyll for everything now I don’t need the subscription. I feel really bad. But now I use VSCode for this and a couple scripts to post here and my other blogs. ↩
This is the only task manager that I actually look at and use. It is that beautiful, simple, and it has impressed me far more than any task manager in recent memory. ↩
This is such a deep app and I am in love with it. After avoiding it because I was a heavy user of Evernote and quite liked it, there were things that annoyed me about it. Everyone talked about this app, Notion and I signed up. Been using it for two weeks and I have paid the subscription. It’s that good. Still setting it up but here’s my dashboard. ↩
Offline docs ftw! Plus much more. ↩