I can’t go back to Pitt this semester as the funds ran dry. I had been planning to search for work after the semester. I’m still searching, just probably before I had planned. This is where Tech Ladies helps with my job search.
Enter Tech Ladies
I found a tweet on my Twitter feed about Ladies in Tech™. I found the tweet intriguing and checked it out.
Tech Ladies™ 1 is a site/company all about connecting women and WOC to tech jobs who are open to a diverse workforce.
You need to be approved but after that, you get access to their job board and the closed Facebook group 2.
I got approved to their Facebook group and lurked for three weeks. I felt a bit intimidated: here were highly educated women with more money than I’ve seen in my entire adult life 3. I have 3/4 of a BSc in Computer Science and am not employed. I felt a little out of place.
With some prodding some of my good friends I decided I’d speak up. I am so glad I did:
Hi! I’m Tiffany. Been a part of the group for a couple weeks just lurking. Pretty damn shy.
I am a junior dev looking to break into tech. I am older than most in the techsphere so I feel like I am bound to the East Coast for positions though I’d like to go out West at some point.
I was a CS major at the University of Pittsburgh but funds ran out. I am worried about that as well.
I am steadily working on projects, posting them to GitHub, and hoping someone will take a chance on me eventually. I plan to start applying in the spring.
Nice to meet all of you.
The response I got was amazing. Several other Pittsburghers chimed in and wanted to meet up. I got some advice about attending meet ups 4. Being nervous about not finishing my degree, someone spoke up about moving to Pittsburgh and getting a dev job and not having a CS degree. She got in relatively easy, and to PM her. I added her on Facebook Messenger but have yet to question her, which I plan on doing tonight 5.
Job Search Starts Early 2018
I wanted to wait until Spring/Summer to start looking for work. I think I am almost ready. But I will probably start sometime in February.
Tech Ladies has a sh!t ton of jobs for us. Looking forward to the search!
- It’s free but for $99/3 mo. you get more features. ↩
- You need to answer some questions to get in similar to the questions to get into their job boards. ↩
- You don’t have to make much to get that distinction. ↩
- That’s on my to-do list for next month. I’ve lost a good bit of weight unintentionally so I will feel a bit more comfortable being at them. I’ve always felt weird in places like this as I am a really tall, just all around hulking human being. I scare little kids. Ha. No. I really do… ↩
- I’m such an introvert I need to mindmap emails to people. Ha. ↩