Free Code Camp Bonfires

2 min read


“…talent means nothing, while experience, acquired in humility and with hard work, means everything.”
― Patrick Süskind, Perfume: The story of a murderer

So I started the Free Code Camp Bonfires. I am really being tested as far as algorithmically; how do you come up with a solution to this problem? I guess I got a chance to do this in class when I build these Java projects and do these little code snippet things for MyProgrammingLab. But the JavaScript really tested me in ways I didn’t think I could be, because I am actually conscious of the fact I am coming up with algorithms.

The first one was easy. The second one I needed serious help with. The third I did a ton of research on, and eventually came up with a solution. I am not sure if it is “eloquent” but it ran. What I am finding out is that the Bonfires, while they get harder, actually build upon skills you learned in the previous. So we are working with a ton of for loops and iterating over arrays, changing a string to an array, concatenating arrays, splitting them and splicing them to determine if words are palindromes and changing a sentence to Title Case.

I worked with Mark Pearyer on the Title Case Bonfire. Our solution was not elegant but he took charge and didn’t use the Gitter chat or Stack Overflow. We worked straight from the MDN docs. I am thinking of using Scratch js to refactor the code we wrote and debugging it in the browser.

One of the things Mark taught me was using a console.log to get results as you’re iterating your project. I knew this was a thing, I learned it early at Codecademy but forgot it was in my toolkit. Will be doing that from now on.

This is Hard…


The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand. – Vince Lomabardi

…As it should be. Programming isn’t easy. I’ve hit a bump, a snag, the honeymoon not as great as before but I still love it. I love it when my code just works. I may have had to iterate a million times and I may have introduced 10 more bugs than I had before in the source code but it is so worth it to see the end result.

Here is a gist of one of my solutions. You’re free to refactor.